House Guest With Too Many Legs

Posted by Jessica | Labels: , , | Posted On Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM



We have taken photos of the most beautiful or interesting bugs. You can imagine yourself what the mosquitoes and other flying black things look like. I might as well apologize right now to all the Entomologists out there that even though I was a biology major my bug classifications are probably all wrong and you are free to correct me in the comments as to what I should be calling the creatures in this post.



So far in our stay we have gotten up close and personal with many creepy crawly creatures. Much of these creatures are of the normal varieties but in large quantities swarming around the lights outside our apartment and if we are not consistent with turning on our glade plug-in like insecticide then they are inside our apartment as well. The small jumping spiders are very camera shy but we're determined to do our best to photograph one.



It is good that many of the annoying moths don't realize that there are gaps under our front door and around the windows that cockroaches and tiny lizards take advantage of as their personal entrance. Really though bugs in the house haven't been a problem as long as we keep the garbage empty and floors clean. And as far as the house lizards go I rather like having them around. It reminds me a little of my pet iguanas I had in Jr. High.



Mischievous Kevin even invited one smelly rhino looking beetle to stay overnight in our apartment in a Tupperware container in hopes of scaring every visiting female. Being the daughter of a biologist I put up with it for about 24 hours before he was hastened on his way out the door and over the balcony. Locals say that they fly, although this one didn't during his 4 story fall.



One evening there was a clatter against our living room window. I paused at the noise and considered opening the curtains to see but then thought otherwise and continued updating my Facebook. Shortly after, Kevin exited the apartment and encountered another interesting beetle. This time he didn't try to bring it home but sweetly beckoned me to come and see something.



The most disturbing bug that I've encountered was surprisingly one of the smallest, yet it's location in my cupboard had me feeling violated. How dare they set up a home in my lentils! After a quick call to our friends who had been living here for 6 years since moving from America, I found out the difference between a novice missionary and a veteran. The missionaries who have been here less than a year throw the whole sack of lentils, rice, or beans away. The ones who have been here for 2 years pick out the worms, their casting, and then wash the dry goods thoroughly. And lastly the brave soles who have been residence for over 3 years just throw everything in the pot and count it as protein. Then our American friend said, "so the choice is yours it won't hurt you but actually I still throw the whole thing away. What did we do? You'll have to ask us in person. . .


Comments:

There are 1 comments for House Guest With Too Many Legs

Post a Comment