Dental Office Move

Posted by Jessica | Labels: , , | Posted On Friday, September 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM

We are just over half way done with our stay here in Nepal.  The dental office has been moved across the hall to a bigger room and now has two dental chairs.  Below are some before and after pictures of the transformation.


location for new dental office, before painting


painter Dave and Kevin working hard


pole installed for mounting dental light between chairs

While it is a blessing to be in a bigger room with two dental chairs, there is only one dental compressor (for running a drill, suction, air, and water) and one dental light.  So far I've been doing extractions in the second chair and wearing a head lamp for a light.


new dental office as it exists now, my chair is in the back

The work days are going by much faster.  But honestly I get frustrated much more than I'd like to admit.  My position here is a poor personality fit.  My gentleness and dedication to quality that was appreciated by many patients during dental school, here is perceived as incompetence.  The language barrier is a huge contributor to the problem as well.  I'm practicing being more assertive and at the same time praying for a humble heart when the dentist and assistant correct the way I do things or the instruments I choose to use.


another view of finished office

My experience so far has convinced me that I do not want to serve on mission trips longer than our current month and a half.  I miss the cleanliness, technology, intact instruments, protocol, quality work, emphasis on patient comfort, and even the paperwork that is done in the USA.  The "always on your toes, making do with what you have" mentality is not for me.


the x-ray unit in a separate room


radiograph developing area next to x-ray unit needs improvement


currently the only working dental unit or compressor


gross suction collection bottle

While it's easy to point out what I don't like here I have found many things I enjoy, like providing dental education.  I've made presentations to the elementary school, at a home here in Banepa, and more remote villages as an extension of the evangelistic efforts of the local church.  Darshanad recommended a great dental education book that has been a great help and skips one level of translation since it is written in Nepali and English.


great Nepali dental education book

I also enjoy working with kids and teens. While they may be moving targets in the chair, they are more transparent, honest, and receptive to smiles and humor. Educating children brings the greatest rewards. They are receptive to change and it isn't too late for their teeth. A small investment in education can have a significant impact to their long term oral health. It is part of our mission to make a better life for the kids that we see. The adults have already established habits and have significant decay and missing teeth. They also don't seem to respect a young female dentist even if I am from America.


doing my favorite thing

I generally think of myself as being good with children so it was quite a shock when one child who came to the dental office cried every time I looked at him even from across the room. It makes me laugh now remembering how he gave a whiny warning cry when I approached him and then cried out as if in pain when I touched his hand. I wasn't even wearing gloves or a mask, I just wanted to say hello. Realizing that I was a poor fit to treat this child, since he didn't complain when the other dentist came near, I moved to the other side of the room. And every time I even turned my head and smiled at him he would start to whine again until I looked away. He must have imagined that I was some kind of scary fair-skinned ghost speaking nonsense to him.


Darshanad's grandson Suman enjoys stopping by the dental clinic

All in all I'm glad I'm here. It is an experience of a life time and a realistic introduction to working in the mission field. I do plan to go on more short term mission trips but I'll do things a little differently next time.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Dental Office Move

Post a Comment