♫ Brush, brush, brush your teeth! ♪♫

Posted by Jessica | | Posted On Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM

You know the song, "Row, row, row your boat" right?  Well, children in Nepal at the ESA Memorial Primary School know it too and this ended up being a great help.  It all began when my friend Anna (SM from Iowa who is teaching at the local school) suggested I teach the kids some dental hygiene.  Excited that I would have a project to do while I was waiting for the dental clinic to be set up, I eagerly agreed.

We came across a very long procession of students walking in single file

With only a couple days to prepare I was reminded that I wasn't in California anymore.  Kevin and I took a half day in town to buy toothbrushes for the students (since teaching them how to brush would be no use if they didn't have a toothbrush).  We set out to buy toothbrushes for the 70 children ages 4 to 10 years old.  Benapa, Nepal doesn't exactly have a Wal-mart.  

Another view of the main street in Banepa

Shopping for 70 small toothbrushes proved to be an adventure!  First we'd try to identify a store likely to sell toothbrushes, then the charades began as we tried to communicate that we wanted lots of child size toothbrushes.  Usually a store would only have 10 to 20 toothbrushes in children sizes.  In the end we purchased brushes from 5 different stores after traveling down at least 4 different streets looking in each store window.

The pouring rain doesn't stop the motorcyclists

As typical for this area, the weather rained in fits and starts with beautiful sun shine breaking out in between.  During the heaviest down pours we would duck into the nearest shop selling snacks and buy refreshments as an excuse to get out of the rain.  Most stores were the size of a small bedroom and were jammed packed with merchandise.  The open floor area was usually only big enough to shelter three people any yet four or more locals managed to squeeze in around us escaping the rain.

Just a tarp for the street merchants

By the end of the afternoon we got very good at sign language.  We would bare our teeth and move our fists next to our cheeks in short jerks to simulate the brushing movement.  If a shop keeper knew English we felt a bit silly at our charades.  But if they did not, then our acts got more elaborate and ridiculous.

Interesting guest for lunch

We arrived home pleased but exhausted, and then it hit me.  What do I say to a bunch of squirming first graders to keep their attention long enough to convince them to brush their teeth?  Instantly my mind generated all sorts of ideas but they all required story books, photocopies, props, or other resources I didn't have access to here.  Thankfully I did have the internet (our life line in so many ways) and I found lyrics to the tune of  "Row, row, row your boat."  I wish I could have recorded the children singing it.  They sang vibrantly with smiling faces.  The first verse was as follows:
♪ ♪ ♪ Brush, brush, brush your teeth, brush them everyday.
Right, left, up and down clean the plaque away. ♪ ♪ ♪


The children were divided into three classrooms according to age and each presentation was slightly different in complexity.  In all cases I wanted to communicate two main things, brushing is good and the dentist doesn't have to be scary.  I had four volunteers stand in front of the class wearing different parts of the dentist's personal protective gear (white coat, safety glasses, latex gloves, and mask).  I also borrowed a mouth model and mouth mirrors for the children to touch and hold.  I talked with the kids about eating healthy foods and avoiding candy and soda that will make the sugar bugs multiply and create holes in their teeth.  While I'm not delusional in thinking that this one encounter with a singing dentist is going to dramatically change their oral health, I believe it is at least a step in the right direction.  And every once in a while I find myself humming that familiar tune. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

dressing up was a big hit
~ Jessica

Comments:

There are 5 comments for ♫ Brush, brush, brush your teeth! ♪♫

Post a Comment