Dental Assistant

Posted by Jessica | Labels: , , , | Posted On Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM


Darshanad the unofficial dentist

The person I have spent the most time with (besides my husband Kevin) since arriving in Nepal is a good-natured, middle-aged Nepali Man named Darshanad (not sure on the spelling). His official job title is Dental Assistant but in reality he does everything a general dentist does with particular expertise in extractions. I have never seen anyone extract teeth so effortlessly. He was trained by a missionary dentist as a youth and has been doing dentistry at the hospital for 26 years.  He worked alone until he was demoted to a dental assistant about 2 years ago when a certified dentist was hired. Ironically he picks up the pieces when the certified dentist or myself run into trouble. And there are often patients who refuse to be treated by anyone but him.

Darshanad extracting 2-2 (USA numbering system #10)

It has been interesting to observe that around the certified dentist Darshanad is quiet and submissive even when he disagrees, but when it is just the two of us, he offers suggestions and opinions freely. I have seen many indications that suggest that the Caste System is alive and well even though it has been officially outlawed.

Dr. Yakthumba, patient, and Darshanad

Dental appointments do not exist in this clinic. Instead people get in line to be seen when they arrive. The clinic opens at 8:30 AM but patients usually don't arrive until after 10:00 Am. When there are no patients the certified dentist leaves and returns at her leisure. This presents ample opportunity for Darshanad and I to talk about everything from food, family, religion and politics. He is careful to couch his musings with phrases like "in my opinion" or "I am not educated but I think."

Darshanad and Jessica talking when there are no patients

Darshanad has been very generous by showing Kevin and I around the village during his lunch hour, taking us out for real Nepali sweets (large donut holes soaked in sugar syrup), and giving me soup mix to make for Kevin when he was sick. All the while refusing to let us pay him back even though I know his salary is ridiculously small.  He credits his kindness to his culture and Hindu religion saying, "you do not need to thank me it is what we do."  I have enjoyed getting to know him and appreciate his willingness to share his life and culture with a curious young female American.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Dental Assistant

Post a Comment